February 12, 2012

A Good Drill for Fatties!

Just got off the phone with Vu and we were talking about ways to practice at home on carpet.  I thought I'd share a little drill I try to do every day.  It helps me get a feel for my swing plane and when to allow the club to release.
I actually got the idea for the drill from a golf manga called Dan Doh.  Don't bother reading it, it's terrible.  But the coach in that manga gave the main characters an interesting drill and I thought it was actually a pretty good way of helping me fix my problems with hitting fat or thin.

The Set Up:  Make a line in the carpet fibers or place something on the ground.  I use a straw from a Capri Sun tucked under the accent rug.
Then try to swing your club so that it reaches your carpet just in front of the line.  (Here's the page in the manga).  I use both hands, but of course how you do the drill is up to you.
The mark that your club leaves in the carpet fibers will show you if your swing plane was in-to-out or out-to-in, and it also shows you exactly when your club makes contact with the "dirt."  Starting off with half swings first really helps get a feel for the drill, and eventually you can move up to full swings.  I don't really use anything longer than a short iron for this drill because I've hit the ceiling a few times with my other clubs.  (Don't tell the wife)

My goal is always to hit the carpet about half an inch closer to the right the line and that the mark it leaves is a good length too. That would be half an inch to the left of the line for right-handed players.  Also, be sure to swing LIGHTLY.  You don't want to take a tour-sized divot out of your carpet because divot-repair sand won't work in your living room.  Hope the drill helps you!
Did you guys follow the Pebble Beach Pro-Am this weekend?!  Mickelson is Back!  Sorry your boy Woods got schooled by Lefty, Salman.  I think the picture they picked for the article on the PGA website is absolutely perfect.  Click this link to check it out.

Two of our players recently made some upgrades to their sets and bought new irons.  Check out the updated Player Profiles page.

No comments:

Post a Comment