August 26, 2012

85 Konquered, and Timberview Review

Salman, Jason, and I played Timberview in Ft. Worth yesterday. Shot my lowest score to date despite the course sucking.  

The staff was worse than Lake Arlington. My biggest gripe about the staff at Lake Arlington was that they weren't engaging or friendly; Timberview employees couldn't be distinguished from patrons because they were standing around talking about personal affairs and swearing without acknowledging nearby customers. An older, heavyset guy was the first person I dealt with. He was extremely polite to the eight white golfers ahead of me but as soon as I said hello to him his demeanor changed. He barely looked at me and was irritatingly curt. Also, for the first time since I started using GolfNow.com my IdealGolfer.com voucher wasn't accepted and he explained my "commitment to pay the agreed price" about four times; making sure to say it slow enough for the foreigner to understand. Funny that he mentioned commitment because I booked for 4, but we paid for 3 and I wasn't charged for the 4th person.  If those are the rules then those are the rules. What really irked me was the condescending tone and being treated like I was stupid.  One of the clubhouse staff was actually pretty friendly, but one of the girls working that day acted like Salman and I weren't there and only spoke to the two guys standing about fifty feet behind us on the practice green.  The website claims that Timberview is the "friendliest golf course in the metroplex."  I think they need to add a disclaimer because that statement clearly doesn't apply to non-white folk.
 
The course itself was pretty dumb too. The Greens were tiny and were just about fairway grass length. Super slow and grainy. Didn't matter what kinda slope you were looking at because the ball would roll straight and slow, often stopping in the middle of a steep down slope. The layout was similar to Meadowbrook in Arlington. Wide open with trees spread far apart, no bunkers, and only a hand-full of water hazards. The fairways were wide and landing in the rough hardly affected your chances of getting on the green. The holes were very short but there were some par 4s that I feel should've been par 5s which is funny because there wasn't a single par 5 that couldn't be reached in two.

Salman played solid as usual. He had a rough start on the first three holes and decided to not keep score for the rest of the round. Not sure if tearing up the scorecard affected his mindset but he played holes 4-18 like a beast, driving straight as an arrow and hitting some solid approaches. No eagles from 100 yards this time, but had two close calls. Jason struggled early on because he didn't get a chance to warm up, but after a few holes he was striking it well and putting solid (as usual). And despite my complaints about the course and the staff, I still somehow managed to break 85 for the first time. Shot a 43 on the front nine after an ugly triple bogey on the fourth or fifth hole, and a 40 on the back nine. Practiced with mostly driver at TopGolf on Friday. Worked out pretty well and the shortness of the course definitely helped me with getting my approaches close to the pin.

All in all it was still a fun round with lots of laughs, but I am never playing Timberview again. I still have a voucher so if anyone wants to play there just let me know and you can have it.  It expires on the 31st and after that you can use it as credit at the golf course (if they let you).

Don't forget to putt,
-Juno

No comments:

Post a Comment