August 7, 2012

Props to Soks!

D. Flowered
Soks played his first 18 hole course yesterday!  Congratulations buddy!  We played Prairie Lakes in Grand Prairie.  Salman and I were there to watch him deal with the frustrations we've all fallen madly in love with.  It was a fun, albeit extremely hot, round of golf.  The sun was draining us of energy and the heat was by far the most significant force we had to contend with.  The forecast predicted 106 degrees, but I'm pretty sure we reached temperatures above that.  With a 3pm tee time, the temperatures didn't let off till the last two or three holes.  I consumed roughly 3 gallons of water throughout the day and still ended up dehydrated with a pounding headache.

It's time to go home, ball
I always tell myself that courses are for playing and sessions at the range, putting at home, chipping in the yard, etc. are for practice. That way I try not to think too much about the shots I struggled with or where I could've shaved a stroke or two until after I've left the course.  During yesterday's round the biggest gripe for me were my second shots.  My driving was fairly consistent except for the first few holes, and my short game was pretty sharp (Thirteen putts on the back nine!), but my approaches and first shots on par3s were consistently bad yesterday.
I also had the pleasure of witnessing some pretty amazing plays from the guys.  Soks found the fairway on some pretty solid drives and drained some MONSTROUS putts.  I've seen him sink some insanely far putts at Meadowbrook and yesterday was more of the same.  No matter where his ball ends up on the green there always seems to be a chance for him to hole it, which is definitely not the case with me!  Salman's ball striking continues to improve from round to round.  He's still trying to dial in his driver but definitely isn't suffering from a lack of distance.  The guy's still a surgeon with the sand wedge from anywhere inside 80 yards; hits the flag stick at least once per round with his 56.  Super jealous.

Can't wait to play again, I'm thinkin' a trip to Country View in Lancaster is in order!  Twilight this time.  I had a lot of fun yesterday and was glad to be a part of Soks' first round on a full course but that was the absolute last time we will ever book a tee time before 4pm during a Texas summer.

-juno


No comments:

Post a Comment