February 5, 2013

Putting Woes

I played a private golf course in Cleburn last weekend and as usual, my putting remains by far the weakest part of my game. The golf course was SPECTACULAR. The property is called The Retreat, and the golf course is an exclusive course reserved for owners of property within the community. My dad said the course was "so beautiful that your score at the end of the day doesn't even matter."  It was a perfect day for golf, with some really great people, a country singer, and horrendous putting by me. 

I'm really struggling on the greens.  Probably because I never do drills and I change my grip, posture, stance, speed, rhythm, etc. on an almost-weekly basis.  To shave strokes I really need to spend more time chipping and putting and less time hitting shots that I already know I have in my bag.  It's not that I dislike practicing short game, I just enjoy the stress relief when blasting balls down the range more.
Odyssey Metal-X #9
I thought about it the day after and it all boils down to me not feeling comfortable with my putter.  I feel like a good stroke will only get me close and not in the hole.  The putter feels out of control and I have no feel for the club head the way I do with every other club in my bag.  Dad suggested I look into getting a new putter so I'm standing over a club that inspires confidence.  New club? Why not?  I absolutely love the Odyssey Metal-X #9.  I think it's a beautiful putter, the metal insert is a bit firm, but it feels like I'm placing the ball on a path instead of hitting it towards a general area.  I thought about taking the plunge and purchasing the new Odyssey Versa #9, but I just couldn't get myself to pull the trigger for $169.  Luckily, I found an Odyssey White Hot Tour #9 for a really great deal and it should be arriving in the mail within a week!  I can't wait to work on my putting with the new club.
Odyssey Versa #9
It's really difficult to feel okay with my score on Sunday. I don't feel like it accurately reflected my play for that day.  I felt great about my long range game, my irons were solid, and my shots from 100 yards and closer felt really good.  What totally killed my score were all the 3- and 4-putts!!!  I had so many birdie opportunities and every single one ended with at least a bogie.  

Odyssey White Hot Tour #9
From now on, I'm going to make sure that for every one hour I spend on the driving range, I spend at least three hours on the putting green or putting at home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment