July 29, 2020

Dead Bugs and Planks

No more excuses.  I got the heavy bag set up so I can train with my Muay Thai coach who's offering to teach me remotely on the weekends. I also got a really nice weight set with enough weight to keep me busy for a very long time, battle ropes, jump ropes, ab wheel, curling bar, kettle bell, and a jogging stroller for when it's not so hot outside.

This year's been bad for everyone.  Too many have lost their lives and loved ones.  Millions have lost their jobs and their future is uncertain.  Gyms and businesses are closing, people adjusting to what might be the new normal for the foreseeable future, and an overall feeling of helplessness living in America with so many people including government officials not doing their part to get us moving past this like so many other countries already have.  The whole situation led to a big decline in my overall well-being and my physique and fitness declined to a pretty extreme degree.  

But it's time to pick up the pieces and get back to work!  I survived, and I can't keep moping around feeling sorry for myself over things I can't control.  I've been working out pretty consistently since I got the weight bench set up last weekend and I'm feeling fantastic.  I'm working in some core strength exercises to speed up the process because sitting on the couch for over a third of the year has all but erased the foundation I need to pick up heavy stuff and move my body quickly.  Yesterday in-between sets I did one-minute planks.  Felt really good and got some great core activation.  I'm going to keep doing planks and plank variations till it isn't hard anymore before moving on to the harder core strength routines.

I found this great video yesterday by Jeremy Ethier and I'm excited to add this move to my daily routines:




Going to work on this move every day so I can get myself back on track.  Stretching every day in the office has helped a lot too with getting my mind right.

Overall, I'm feeling completely different from how I was feeling six weeks ago.  Six weeks ago I was at rock bottom, feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere in life, and just not knowing where to start.  Now I'm working a new job, golfing with my friends again, training regularly, getting things done around the house, and most importantly I'm feeling that nagging itch again of seeing how I'm unfinished and ready to launch myself to new heights.

No more excuses.  And when I do make excuses, I acknowledge what they are, give myself a few minutes to relax, then pick myself up and get back to work!

2020 won the 2nd and 3rd round, but I'm fully recharged and about to knock its ass out.

No comments:

Post a Comment