August 24, 2020

Improving our Mobility

I found this video by the CalisthenicMovement YouTube channel last week and I'm making sure to do this at least five times a week.  I struggle a lot with shoulder mobility and overall tension in my upper body.  I want to improve my flexibility overall mostly for quality-of-life gains, but of course it can only benefit my athletic performance in golf and other sports.

The routine is really simple and only takes about 4-5 minutes so there's really no excuse not to do it.  There are three "flows" that you have to follow, and each flow is a sequence of movements that you're supposed to hold for only about 5 seconds.

Flow #1: Deep Squat - Pike Stand Reach - Cobra

Flow #2: Archer Squat - Shaolin Sit

Flow #3: Toe Touch - Easy Bridge

Ironically, Easy Bridge is by far the hardest movement for me.  I've dealt with chronic pain and stiffness in my right wrist for over 20 years after I blocked a kick at Taekwondo practice during my senior year of high school, so putting my hand flat on the ground and bridging is really painful.  Still gonna do it tho!  It's really only still stiff because I haven't been disciplined enough to rehab it properly.  Just this last week I've noticed significant improvement in my wrist flexibility so I'm going to keep working on it with this mobility routine.  Can't wait to see how I feel in 60 days.



No comments:

Post a Comment